Executive SummaryWhat is this report about? For many countries around the world, Free Trade Zones (FTZs) offer a good option to create jobs and improve the living standards of a large number of people. FTZs, with their tax incentives and relaxed regulations are also seen as means of economic diversification and development of capacities for manufacturing from the bottom up. The report provides a detailed analysis of Free Trade Zones in the GCC region. Who will benefit and why? The report will benefit anyone seeks to study the Free Trade Zones in the region. It includes investors at both regional and international level, regulators, government agencies and policy makers. This report would help these entities to gain in-depth understanding about the FTZs in the GCC. How exhaustive is this report? We have provided an in depth analyses of the FTZs in the region, the various forms of FTZs, and its economic benefits. A comparative study on the FTZ characteristics across the GCC region has been conducted. Analysis is done on the role of private sector in the FTZs, the significant role that a private enterprise can play in the development of zone infrastructure, emphasis is also laid on policy transfer in the region in the wake of falling oil prices. Finally, policy recommendations for zone development based on six major themes (selecting the appropriate zone Type, identifying physical development and management priorities, creating the suitable policy framework, formulating a strategic incentive framework, setting up a robust regulatory framework) have been specified.
Table of Content
- Executive Summary
- Free Trade Zones (FTZs) – A General Introduction
- FTZs: Their economic role
- FTZs and the GCC
- A Comparative Study of FTZ Characteristics in the GCC
- The Reasons behind UAE FTZs’ Success
- Policy Transfer in the Region
- The role of the private sector in the FTZs
- Potential policy pitfalls
- Conclusions and Policy Recommendations
Key Questions Addressed in this report
- What are the various forms of FTZs in the GCC?
- What are the characteristics of FTZs in the GCC?
- How private sector can play a significant role in the development of FTZs?
- What could be the best practices for the zone development
This report can add value to
- Policy makers
- Regulators and Government agencies
- Research Institutions